We are hiring, join our team
Chief Executive Officer
The Global Sustainable Seafood Initiative (GSSI) is seeking a strategic and inspiring leader who enjoys working in a multi-faceted environment.
The Global Sustainable Seafood Initiative is one of the largest precompetitive collaborations for sustainable seafood in the world, aligning businesses, NGOs, governments, and international organizations. Representing the full seafood value chain, this public-private partnership ensures stakeholders work together to turn seafood into a driver for good to preserve oceans for future generations and drive forward more sustainable seafood for everyone.
Following 10 years of sustained achievements, GSSI is at a critical juncture. The last decade has resulted in globally recognized alignment in seafood certification through the Global Benchmark Tool, aligning the sector to tackle challenges using Seafood MAP, and a unique collaboration with the Sustainable Supply Chain Initiative (SSCI) of The Consumer Goods Forum to create a joint seafood-specific benchmark tool. GSSI requires a talented individual to strengthen business operations and drive future partnerships.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is a highly visible role that will lead our growing partnership of over 100 stakeholders and collaborations to tackle the global seafood industry’s complex sustainability challenges. GSSI seeks a CEO with a proven track record of executive leadership, including financial management and team-building. The CEO will serve as the face of the organization and will oversee GSSI’s strategic direction, including existing and new programmes, provide operational leadership, grow revenue and partnerships, and manage a small but growing team. The CEO will benefit from strong leadership from the GSSI Steering Board, partnering on strategy, communication, impact, and financial management. This is an opportunity for an exceptional leader to take a global, multi-stakeholder organization to the next level of impact.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Lead GSSI by providing an inspiring vision for its future, collaborating to turn this vision into practice while respecting the organization’s history and organizational culture
- Position the organization for long-term growth and operational excellence;
- Champion GSSI’s reputation and credibility as an effective collaborator
- Steward the mission and brand through strategic planning, goal setting and execution
- Cultivate the organization’s performance-oriented, accountable, organizational culture with a focus on transparency, collaboration, inclusivity, trust and diversity
- Engage and leverage the talent of the Board to support organizational goals
- Develop GSSI’s financial model to support sustainable and strategic growth
- Ensure a sustainable balance of income sources, including partnership growth, new opportunities for earned revenue, and developing philanthropic support where appropriate
- Evaluate opportunities for growth and pruning to ensure a healthy organization
- Evaluate the expansion of staff for the organization, while maintaining organizational financial goals
- Provide skilled and thorough oversight of the organization’s financial resources and operations
Staff Leadership and Development
- Attract, develop and retain top talent for the organization, including alignment of organizational policies, benefits, and development programs
- Ensure staff understands their role, associated goals, strategies and measures, and are equipped with the resources necessary to deliver results
- Maintain a culture of empowerment and collaboration
- Build partnerships and collaboration with key global organizations including corporate, non-profit, government and academic institutions to advance GSSI’s mission
- Overseeing ongoing industry engagement work by the GSSI Secretariat to promote the GSSI Benchmark Solutions
- Maintain effective relationships with related non-industry stakeholders
- Represent GSSI in public communications
- Report to the GSSI Steering Board and its Executive Committee, at least on a quarterly basis
- Strategic thinker
- Ability to motivate and influence others
- Ability to delegate
- Relationship builder
- Flexible and comfortable with change
- Solutions-focused, taking decisive action as necessary
- Accessible, trusted leader internally and externally
The Ideal Candidate
- Has experience as the face of an organization that has resulted in strong community relationships across public, non-profit, and private sectors to produce effective collaboration
- Has a track record of leading the strategic direction and growth of an organization
- Possesses an entrepreneurial mindset to lead a diverse management team and workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations and staffing needs
- Has experience in working with and engaging a non-profit board
- Has an established network relevant to GSSI’s vision and mission
- Is focused, energetic and self-motivated and has the ability to motivate and energize others
- Is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment: attracting, developing, empowering, and retaining talent
- Has proven experience in formulating objectives and priorities and implementing plans consistent with the long-term interest of the organization
- Has strong communication and interpersonal skills, and is a natural networker who thrives in an international setting, building lasting international relationships
- Values cooperation and involves relevant internal and external stakeholders when faced with challenging decisions and tasks
- Can deal with complexity and uncertainty and is able to convert these into new opportunities for the further growth of GSSI
- Has experience targeting and raising philanthropic funds to support a mission
We are offering a competitive salary for this level of organization, with benefits consistent with norms and applicable laws in the Netherlands.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicant review will begin in mid-February. To apply, send the GSSI Hiring Committee your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “GSSI/CEO” in the subject line. The cover letter should explain why you are interested in and suited for this position. Please describe your relevant experience, qualifications, and include your salary expectations. Please also provide 2 references. All expressions of interest will be considered confidential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Steering Board of GSSI is committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive team and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This position will be allocated on a competency basis, and we would particularly encourage people from underrepresented countries and groups to apply. We commit to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment.
If there is not currently a job opening that suits you, we always welcome open applications. Please send your CV and letter of motivation addressed to Herman Wisse, Executive Director to email@example.com.