The Global Sustainable Seafood Initiative is a public-private partnership working together on a common purpose:
turn seafood into a driver for good to preserve oceans for future generations and drive forward more sustainable seafood.
Through its strong relationship with the FAO, GSSI is uniquely positioned to support its Partners in accelerating the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. As one of the largest precompetitive collaborations in the world aligning businesses, NGOs, governments, and international organizations representing the full seafood value chain – the GSSI Global Partnership invites seafood sustainability leaders to join and become part of the solution.
More sustainable seafood for everyone
Ensure confidence in the supply and promotion of certified seafood as well as promote improvement efforts in seafood sustainability globally
What we do
on a common language anchored in FAO Guidelines to create a level playing field for the seafood sector
to promote efficient and effective solutions & to offer clarity, confidence, and choice
the impact of individual organizations through collaboration to accelerate sustainability commitments
GSSI works in close partnership with the FAO and brings together stakeholders from across the sector in a pre-competitive manner, all working towards the same vision for more sustainable seafood
GSSI understands that there will never be a one-size-fits-all solution to the sustainability challenges in the seafood space. GSSI’s sustainability solutions support Partners in making their own commitments while allowing flexibility
GSSI creates solutions where clarity is needed:
- Our Global Benchmark Tool – to provide confidence in certified seafood and promote improvement in certification schemes
- The Social Benchmarking Tool – developed in collaboration with the Consumer Goods Forum Sustainable Supply Chain Initiative to ensure confidence in social compliance certifications and programs for seafood
- Seafood MAP – a framework to build capacity for continuous improvement efforts of the environmental, social, and economic sustainability of seafood
Our collaboration with the FAO
Promoting international guidelines for the seafood sector
- GSSI has worked in close partnership with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and its member states since its inception to operationalize and champion internationally agreed guidelines and instruments in the seafood sector.
- The FAO Guidelines are at the heart of all GSSI programs, bringing sustainability to the forefront of the work being done in the seafood sector and to contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Moving forward, multi-stakeholder collaboration will be increasingly important to achieve the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. FAO continues to see GSSI as a key partner who can align different stakeholders in the field, provide credible benchmarks that set the bar for responsible practices, support implementation of the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries and amplify actions that will help us achieve the 2030 Goals.
Dr. Audun Lem, Deputy Director of the Policy and Resources Division in the Fisheries and Aquaculture Department, FAO
GSSI welcomes any company or organization active within the seafood sector to join the Global Partnership
(excluded from this are certification schemes, standards and ratings bodies).